Adam Schefter told listeners on the Pat McAfee Show Friday that Malik Nabers‘ odds of playing in the Giants’ Week 1 opener are “more unlikely than likely”. The warning comes just days before training camp opens, leaving New York’s aerial attack in limbo.
Giants officials have not set a clearance date, and a second arthroscopic scar‑tissue removal surgery has pushed the projected return farther than the team originally hoped. If Nabers sits out the Dallas matchup, the Giants lose a deep‑threat who logged 75 catches for 1,112 yards and eight touchdowns in 2025.
What the latest update reveals about Nabers’ status
According to Schefter, doctors now view a Week 1 clearance as doubtful, a sharp reversal from the optimism expressed earlier this offseason. The numbers reveal a recovery window that likely extends into mid‑October, based on comparable cases of scar‑tissue removal in other NFL receivers.
How the timeline shifted after the first surgery
Jordan Raanan of ESPN reported the Giants expected Nabers to be ready for the start of July camp, but persistent scar tissue forced a second procedure and delayed that goal. The organization still hopes to have him on the roster for the season‑opening game, but the target date has slipped by several weeks.
Why the Giants’ offense must adapt quickly
Veteran analyst Mike Florio notes that New York’s passing game ranked 22nd in yards per attempt last season, and Nabers accounted for a full 22% of those yards. Without his vertical stretch, the play‑calling staff will likely lean on intermediate routes and tight‑end mismatches to keep defenses honest.
Contractually, Nabers’ 2026 deal includes a performance‑based escalator tied to 1,000‑yard seasons; missing the first half of the schedule could jeopardize that bonus and affect the team’s salary‑cap flexibility.
New York’s offensive coordinator, Jason Michael, told reporters the unit will emphasize quick slants and crossing routes to compensate for the loss of a vertical weapon. The adjustment could boost Slayton’s target share from 12% to roughly 18%, according to internal projections.
Key developments not yet covered in the body
- Medical staff have not disclosed a specific date for Nabers‘ final clearance, keeping fantasy owners guessing.
- The Giants’ WR depth chart now leans on Darius Slayton and rookie Jaxton Daniels as potential starters if Nabers remains sidelined.
- Head coach Brian Daboll may lean on short‑route concepts and increase target share for Slayton, altering the offensive game plan.
- Nabers’ contract escalator clause could trigger a $1.2 million bonus if he reaches 1,000 receiving yards, a figure the team hopes to preserve despite his injury.
Why this matters: Nabers accounted for 22% of the Giants’ passing yards last season; his absence forces a strategic pivot that could affect the team’s NFC East race.
When did the Giants schedule Nabers’ second knee procedure?
The follow‑up arthroscopy was performed on June 12, after the initial reconstruction earlier in the year.
What impact does Nabers’ potential absence have on the Giants’ passing yards per game?
Without Nabers, the Giants could see a drop of about 30 passing yards per game, based on his 2025 average of 70 yards per contest.
How should fantasy owners adjust their lineups?
Owners should target Darius Slayton, who posted 5.2 fantasy points per game in 2025, and consider streaming other NFC East receivers like DeVonta Smith.